I don't know how all these pieces fit together or even if they all go to the same puzzle. Yet, I believe God has started us on a journey that will lead somewhere great.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do the kids fit in?

Along the compartmentalizing line of thought, God is showing me today that I have been "compartmentalizing" our kids. I think this is apparent in several different areas including life group, Sunday church, and faith.

Some places this has shown up:
Tom telling me about the Faith Promise sermon from last weekend talking about family;
Jeff Vanderstelt's blog post on MC's meeting with kids;
Nate Williams' blog post about What Church can be

Things are harder with kids and I often try to make them easier by leaving them out. For some things, like grocery shopping, this might be ok (though you could argue there are social interactions and teaching moments they could miss out on...). Sometimes we leave them out of parts of our lives, like our faith, that they should be exposed to - so they learn not to compartmentalize the way we tend to and they understand what it is to live out one's faith.

Now, if I could just figure out what that looks like...

1 comment:

  1. This is really long (as most of Mark Driscoll's sermons are) but I think relevant to this post if you ever have time to listen to it.
    http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/luke/jesus-and-children

    ReplyDelete